What's Your Favourite Microphone Marriage?

by moe on October 15, 2008

One thing I’ve always enjoyed as a music fan is the concept of microphone marriages.

What’s a mic marriage?

A mic marriage is a song with one male artist and one female artist. Not only does it offer 2 different voices, but it also offers 2 different perspectives of the same story. It doesn’t have to be a love song (although it almost always is), it could be any type of record.

From a business perspective, this can prove to be a great method of combining 2 separate fanbases with similar tastes and traits, that can easily crossover to each other, as well as create a new market for the collaboration of the 2 artists together (in other words; 1 massive pool of fans & 3 different streams of products to sell them).

On a personal, music fan tip though, I love the combination of 2 great artists offering 2 separate voices to the same story.

One example of a mic marriage is Kenny Lattimore & Chante Moore. They recorded an entire album together called, “Things That Lovers Do”. (This album is a must for your mood music collection). These two are actually married, but a mic marriage doesn’t have to be two people tied to each other in any other way other than on the song itself.

As a music fan, if you could pick one mic marriage pair-up to record an entire album together, which one would it be?

I asked this question on Twitter a few days ago and I was overwhelmed with how many people replied with the same answer – Method Man & Mary J. Blige.

That’s probably one of the best examples there is.

Others answers included Ginuwine & Aaliyah, Nas & Lauryn Hill, Jay-Z & Beyonce and Avant & Keke Wyatt.

I like all of those pair ups, but truth be told, if I could pick only one, there’s another pair-up that I could only pray to the music gods to have them record an album together. They’re both well known artists, but their collaboration together is not as well-known.

Before you click on the play button, in order to really enjoy this song, you need to be in your personal zone. If you’re at home; shut off the TV for a few minutes, close your eyes and listen. If you’re at work or school; just put on your headphones, zone out and just… listen.

Ladies and gentleman… This. Is. Music:

Lauryn Hill ft. D’Angelo – Nothing Even Matters
[audio:lauryndangelo_nem.mp3]

That’s my favourite mic marriage. What’s yours?

Franco October 15, 2008 at 5:16 PM

My fav is Meth & Mary J

bmore diva October 15, 2008 at 5:28 PM

OMGGGGG!! i never even HEARD that song until now. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S A V V Y Fatty! October 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM

I LOOOOVVVEEE “Nothing Even Matters.” Pure Soul Genius right here!
If I didn’t know any better, I’d think they were screwing because the soul and emotion was soooooo THERE!
I got this in my car RIGHT now!

Necole Bitchie October 16, 2008 at 3:19 AM

Loved nothing even matters…loved erykah badu with deangelo..the song title slips me..

Ultimate favorite, was Beyonce and Eric Benet. It was the wedding song on the Best Man soundtrack i think. loved loved loved it…

i think it was called “Here I am”

ChuckT October 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Black Thought (The roots) & erykah badu – You got me
Lupe Fiasco & Jill Scott – Daydreaming
Lupe Fiasco & Nikki Jean – Hip hop saved my life

Moe Arora | makingthemogul.com October 23, 2008 at 4:19 AM

@Franco – Classic

@bmore diva – Yeah, this song is incredible. I’m glad I put you on :)

@S A V V Y Fatty! – This song really is genius. Everytime it comes up on my iTunes, I have to replay it at least 4-5 times before I let another song play lol.

@Necole Bitchie – Erykah Badu & D’Angelo’s track is “For Your Precious Love”. I can’t lie.. I had to Google the name of that one lol. That was a dope joint. Here I Am as well. Her song with Marc Nelson, “After All Is Said And Done” is one of her best songs too in my opinion.

@ChuckT – Nice choices. You Got Me is one of my favourites!

ChuckT October 24, 2008 at 12:37 PM

preciate it. nikki jean can blow too she filled in for jill on daydreaming during the GITDT and she held her own. never heard a few of the other tracks mentioned i guess i got homework now lol